Wednesday, September 9, 2015

"Modern" medicine

How would you like to use one of these to set a bone?  Yeah, me too.  This is taken from a woodcut that I found in the Mary Rose book "Before the Mast".  It was made for a friend who does a barber-surgeon impression.

It's all made of Ash, with the exception of the long screw, which is hard Maple.  Making the screw was the hardest part.  Not so much technically difficult, but it's physically demanding to cut that much thread into maple.

The finish is milk paint with a tung oil finish coat.  The effect is very similar to period paints.



The woodblock I was working from.  The worst part was trying to get the proportions down.  Look at how long that shin is!


The mechanism.  The two ends are static, with the middle piece moving back and forth along the screw.


Oh, and I was asked how I made the crank handle.  It was pretty simple.  I cut out a place for the spokes.


Then chucked it on the lathe and turned it round.




I cut down the spokes from the original so they wouldn't get in the way all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment